About Me

SIMPLY...plainly: without embellishment. Just so you'll have no expectations, that's why I named my blog "Simply Sherrie". I don't do much on the computer, I'm not very creative, and our daily routine with just Reg, Suki (our cat) and myself is not very exciting. So here we go, the important thing is that my life as a blogger is about to begin......

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sherrie's Simple Sunday Six

This has been a great week with a couple of special highlights. . . . .






l. First of all we attended Rylee's baptism on Saturday. It was a beautiful day beginning with a yummy brunch that Wendy put on. There was lots of food as Rylee's friends and family gathered for the big event. Then we all went to the church to witness her baptism and confirmation. Reggie gave her a beautiful blessing that will help her throughout her life. We continue to feel so blessed to have sons and son-in-laws that are worthy priesthood holders to preform these sacred ordinances .

Rylee looked like an angel all dressed in white. I hope she will always remember how she felt on "her" special day.






2. The next great thing that happened this week was that I actually found Joe's parents names on the Ellis Island registry. I was so excited to actually see there signatures with the dates they arrived and everything. Ever since Joe died I have felt a responsibility to do his genealogy but have had little luck. I found a man that specializes in Italian genealogy and bingo we're on our way. Now I have the task of going though Italian perish records to find some official documents, but at least we have some dates to start with now.





3. I have been recycling the last few months and I feel like I am doing my part to make a difference. It started with a cub scout service project and I have been taking my things to the recycling bins they have put all over town. It makes me happy when I go and we've gone from two full trash barrels to maybe 1/2 each week on trash day.





4. Does this look familiar? Recipes, Recipes, so many recipes, on little scraps of paper, labels off of cans, even torn off of boxes. After 40 years of marriage I have collected A LOT ! Some are handwritten by people that have passed away or friends in my past. I have cookbooks from PTA's , old wards etc., as far back as the 70's. As I look for a recipes it's like going back down memory lane. But I must say until now it has been pretty out of control. How could I ever recopy my favorite handwritten ones and substitute them for typed impersonal copies? Well I just put them all in different sized sleeves and organized all of them into 2 notebooks. Now when someone calls for a recipe I can go right to it instead of calling them back in an hour after searching all over for it.



This is it my finished project. . . .I have enough recipes to make a new dish every week until I die. So I am committed to try all of them, and if it's not fabulous, I'm throwing it away. Thus eventually I maybe can cut back to only l notebook.



And if you ever see me tearing out a recipe out of a magazine again just slap my hand, I have enough.



5. My mother-in-law and sister-in- law Bonnie came down from Parowan and visited this week. They just don't come often enough, but when they do we sure do enjoy our time with them.


6. All of the men in our family still have jobs, which is such a blessing in these difficult economic times. They laid off 38 at Jason's work last week and 8 more this week, so we are feeling especially fortunate.

Let's all continue to pray for our country and lend a helping hand to those in need. . . . have a good week.


3 comments:

Shanel said...

Amen...maybe I can just post this on my blog. Who's recipe is that...and who wrote it?

Anonymous said...

Hey Sherrie, What a great Sunday Six!! You DID have a great week with lots of good things happening! Rylee looks darling, as does the entire family. What a wonderful day for her. I guess I need to talk to you about this recycling thing and I should get busy and do my part. I'll work on that today. I love the recipe notebooks, looks very tidy and organized. We, too, feel very blessed that everyone in our family is still working, we will continue to pray for our kids and yours and our entire nation. I wish you another wonderful week!

Kris said...

Having a grandchild baptized is a wonderful experience. It is a tremendous blessing to have worthy sons, as well. I am so happy for your family.
I LOVE recipes too! Just last week I fashioned a similar file for all the magazine cutouts and scrap paper recipes I have collected. The idea must be in the air somehow and we both caught it!
By the way, I did fly to Utah. I really want to come and see you and Nancy. I miss you both.
Have a Happy Valentine's week....:)