About Me

SIMPLY...plainly: without embellishment. Just so you'll have no expectations, that's why I named my blog "Simply Sherrie". I don't do much on the computer, I'm not very creative, and our daily routine with just Reg, Suki (our cat) and myself is not very exciting. So here we go, the important thing is that my life as a blogger is about to begin......

Monday, October 20, 2008

A Hunting they did go...

The men in my family{incl. Mitchell, 1st time hunter} went D-E-E-R hunting after 8 years. When we lived in California it was almost a yearly event to pay a ridiculous out of state fee for a tag. But now that we live in Utah, and its so inexpensive for a tag, no one ever goes.

Reggie was the lucky one this year!
{Wendy will be so proud of you!}
Part of the reason is because if by some chance someone gets a deer they all fight over the meat...not who gets the most, but who gets the least! We really don't like it but someone needs to eat it after killing it for heaven's sake.
The fun of it all is really for the companionship, circling around the campfire, the yummy dutch oven dinners, the late nights, beautiful weather and for the love of family.
Thanks Uncle Larry for being such a great host. Larry talked Jeremy(Son-in-Law) and Tryston(Grandson) to come along for the weekend to help our men out. Larry and Jeremy didn't even have tags this year.

Now for the story of Mitchell and Tryston. These boys had a blast. After hiking the hills, as Mitchell said, "It was at least 15 miles Grandma," stirring the fire, watching Ironman and just talking each others ears off, it was so nice for them to hang out with boys....since they are both surrounded by girls. Uncle Larry even had them convinced that as 1st time hunters they had to take a bite out of the deer's heart. Larry showed them how it was done but that wasn't enough for Mitchell to follow through.

7 comments:

Shanel said...

The great hunters return with a kill! Looks like another successful deer hunt weekend...mainly because all of the boys could be together. I love seeing that florescent orange on the men of the family. Won't be long until I'm sending Lane to join them. I'll bet he could scare some deer out of the woods!

Shanel said...

oops! It was Shenise who commented last. I'm still logged in under Shanel.

Anonymous said...

These are just the best pictures! It really does look like a lot of fun, although I'm vehemently opposed to deer hunting, I mean, look at the face on that darling animal!! I don't know who could possibly have the courage to shoot such a beautiful face...Reggie, shame on you!! Oh well, the family togetherness makes it worth it, I suppose! I glad everyone had a great time!!

Kris said...

So, your men are Bambi killers! How do they do it?

I went on a deer hunt with some fella once. It is amazing how much time is spent walking around looking for antlers. 15 miles is probably more accurate than you realize.

The BIG question is not who gets the most meat but who gets the head!

Grammy Staffy said...

John used to hunt deer when we were students at BYU. We even tried butchering it ourselves one year which was a BIG MISTAKE!!!

I don't really like venison but it was good to have it when we were poor college students.

I was happy to see your Sunday Six. I left you a little comment there too.
Come on over and visit my blog if you get a chance..
Have a great day.

Grammy Staffy said...

p.s. Would you like me to make you a Sunday Six sign that says-
Sherries Sunday Six??? I think that would be so cute...

Grammy Staffy said...

Hi again Sherri,
We are leaving to visit David for a couple of weeks. We fly out tomorrow and I must rush of to the temple in a bit today. We work there on Thursdays.

I will work on your sign and email it to you when we get back. You can email me off of my blog and send your email address to me...or I think I can get your address if you just make another comment on one of my posts.

I'll be in touch when we get back.
So good to her from you. Love, Lura